19.10.07

Perfume - Book and Movie



Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, is a literary master piece written in 1985 by Patrick Süskind, and latter (2006) became a movie, a very very good one.
I've always loved the story, since I've read it in my 18's ( that was 9 years ago ( gezz) ), I think the story has a very global feeling, not meaning, but feeling. And I say this, because, I think the meaning depends of the one that gets to know the story, but everyone that as some kind of sensibility will feel something strong.
I recommend everyone to read and then see the movie, and if possible the making off cause it's wonderful. The soundtrack is also amazing!

But since this is a personal blog, I will try to put in words what I feel about this story, but it won't be easy.
For me, the strongest issue, is the brutal quest of trying to grab and posses something that it's ungrabable and unpossessful, something ephemerous and at the edge of reality. And that is something that everyone does in life. For Grenouille it's the Perfume/scent, but I see it not just trying to capture a smell, but to capture the true nature of a person, that little something that makes a person unique, that is my quest.
I sometimes try to do that in photography, when I'm not in a commercial mind wave, because photography is the language I like to use the most, and that I know to use better than the others.I think I never got it, or if I did I can't steel see it.
But I feel the need, and the pain to do so. It's like when I'm with some I love, and in a particular moment, it seems that everything stops, and I really look to that person, deep in the eyes, in the skin, the tinny gestures, the smell, the sound, and fully realize that that experience is so delicate, so fragile, because, one day, I will remember that second, and that person will not be there, forever.

Another thing this story makes me wonder, is probably one of the oldest questions of mankind, what is our role in life, our meaning. Why do we, in a very personal and singular way, exist?
That's another thing that makes Grenouille suffer, he as no smell, no identity in the world he knows the best, and that also makes him invisible for everyone else, including animals has we can see in the story. And even when he gets the power to dominate everything, for him it doesn't matter, because it's not him, but something external to him, a scent that it's not his, but something he produced.
That seems to be one of the basics of our well being, to know that we have a place in the world, in someone's world at least.


  

1 comentário:

Anónimo disse...

Saw Perfume recently, well done in general, good character building, original cinematography... expresses a lot about human nature as well.